- Kids are overscheduled
- In their free time, many choose to stay indoors, lulled by television, computers and video games.
- Healthier, happier, and smarter children
- Greener cities
- Better schools
- Stronger neighborhoods
On saturday was my first volunteer occation. I had a lot to do since then, that's why this is a bit late.
We started the morning at 8. When we arrived to the house I had to sign some papers to be able to attend. I got questioned to get up on the roof, despite my fear of hights, I took a hammer, nail and a security helmet. I was working on the roof for a couple of hours and a nice blister on my thumb because I didn't wear gloves.
Around 11 was the lunch ready for us! It was really good and landed nicely in the belly after some working.
We worked for another couple of hours in the house since we finished the roof before lunch.
I had a great day with many happy and nice people! Habitat for humanity is amazing!
What is Habitat for Humanity?
- It's a nonprofit, ecumenical Christian housing ministry that has helped to build over 500,000 decent, affordable houses and served 2.5 million people worldwide.
- Their vision: a world where everyone has a decent place to live.
- Founded in 1976 by Millard Fuller and his wife, Linda.
How are the families selected?
- Families in need of decent shelter apply to local Habitat affiliates.
- The affiliate’s family selection committee chooses homeowners based on their level of need, their willingness to become partners in the program and their ability to repay the loan.
- Every affiliate follows a nondiscriminatory policy of family selection.
- Neither race nor religion is a factor in choosing the families who receive Habitat houses.
How does Habitat work with the government?
- They ask legislators and housing regulators to increase support for affordable homeownership and eliminate poverty housing.
- They monitor public policies related to housing, community and international development.
- They advocate policy choices that increase access to decent, affordable housing for people around the world.
- They accept government funds as long as they have no conditions that would violate Habitat’s principles or limit its ability to proclaim its Christian identity.
How to become a volunteer?
Mitt första inlägg.